Tuesday, September 18, 2012

555 meals and counting...

                                                                               
                                                           



That's right!

As of last Saturday we have served approximately 555 ++ meals since summer. Can't go precise with figures because you know kids, they come back for seconds... and thirds.... Especially when you serve them their favorites, which we always do. It gives us great joy to see them munch and chew and make those sounds when they really enjoy their food like, "hmm, yum yum."

Last Saturday I believe we had a blast. It was so fun to see the sauce-stained faces as they devoured with great delight. I mean, it was total demolition, appetite of the young lions.

We praise God and thank HIM for the people who continually extend their love for these kids and support this feeding program. As the saying goes, "A big heart will lay up treasures in heaven and will not worry about his pocket." (That's another version.) Our donors are ordinary people with ordinary-sized pockets but with extraordinary hearts. To all of you who have grown a love for these children (because HE loved you first), a thousandfold be  returned to you. And as you are touched again, then you can give more. Then we can feed more. So that the Giver can bless you again, and again, and again.

Can we really outgive our God?





First I want to thank our Maitre d' for the event.
Very efficient guy, he made sure all our
distinguished guests (the kids, of course) were properly greeted, seated, and served. Together with all his U.N.I.T.E.D. staff, the kids were served like 'preferred customers.'
Thanks to you, big brother! Thanks, United!















Photo shoots and footages courtesy of this 'Very Promising'
photographer-of-the-day with such a highly professional sense of
filmmaking. Two thumbs up!! Thanks!







This serious-looking, cute little boy couldn't wait for his older sister anymore and vowed to take care of himself. By the time she came to feed him, sauce was all gone - it was all over his face and his shirt.








"Tissue, please." I think we finished a whole Kleenex box wiping off everybody's mouth of the sauce.










"I don't know about you but I don't mind standing up here with my meal," was the impression that this satisfied boy gave us. He's one of our regulars and he definitely wouldn't miss today. The day I met him on the street last week for the 'Spaghetti Saturday' invitation, he instantly RSVP'd to the event.










A ceremonial hand salute is given with a big smile to express true satisfaction and thanksgiving. It's worth all our hard work when children acknowledge our labor of love. We offer back this salutation to our great Master and King.









                                                                             
"This is better than milk!" as if to say. I just presumed that, as coming from one who's just been weaned off of milk formula. I mean, don't you think that cute smile and those tantalizing eyes suggest that?










Came with a big appetite! This kiddo, with some of his cohorts, invaded the kitchen to ask for seconds. Sorry, be blessed next time! :-(








More rewarding moments.....











On top of it all, the highlight of this event, for me, is the coming of three of these children's mothers. It was last week when I met one of these women as I went around the community to invite the children. Thanks to our dear Edna who gladly accompanied me for the house to house. That friendship has been extended to two more women. They are my new girlfriends: Mona, Alma, and Baby, with Baby's son with us in this pic. We had a great time talking about family, children and what not. It was easy making friends with them. A direct result of your prayers and faith that somehow, God would  make it possible for us not only to meet these neighbors but to start a relationship with them. I felt a little ashamed when I asked them how long they've been living at the back of our place, that it's been five years since they moved from the southern part of our country all the way up north. It took me that long to extend the arms of friendship over the fence. But God is good, they are looking forward to seminars that I would be conducting with the women neighbors. I was able to get Baby's commitment to do the inviting for us.          PTL !






And not only did they come but they stayed and watched us play and talk with their children...till the end of the program (which by God's divine planning had to be shortened) so I could sit down with them over spaghetti and juice... and some friendly girl-talk. I am so privileged today!

There are so many things I could think of how to spend my weekends. At times I would think of going for some spa (which I had gone once in my entire adult life). It is on weekends that I would think of the movies, or some date, small shopping, or simply stay home and get some rest. And this is not to play any guilt-trip on anybody but I just want to share with you how much more meaningful and fulfilling my weekends have become now that I took the focus off of me and instead delighted myself in serving people and doing things to make others happy, too.  I realize that as one seriously thinks of his/her neighbor, God is the one who supplies the energy, strength and wisdom to accomplish great things with only one condition, that you do what you do not out of compulsion, but out of love.


I will have more stories to share and even more photos to upload within the week. Hubby insists that I join the snoring party. My digital timepiece reads 12:32 AM. He has every reason to call it a day. 


Let's call it a day, then. 




No comments:

Post a Comment